Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Sicko

I caught Michael Moore's "Sicko" about halfway through. It was really good. It didn't catch the whole truth, though. Since living over here and learning about their nationalized health care, I've found that its bleeding them dry. The excessive number of underage pregnancies and kids who being drink and then go to the hospital for an iv or stomach pump is costing them a fortune. I don't know where this relates to the Queen's dress budget (I hear she wont wear the same dress twice) but it has to be up there.
Either way, it was pretty bad to see how some people in the US are treated by health providers and then jump a boat to Cuba or move to a nationalized health care country and receive all of their treatments for free. Much less, to go into a pharmacy and buy their medication for 4 pesos, after having been paying $120 for it. I am thinking about giving this whole free healthcare thing a try and getting a check up.

2 Comments:

Blogger milkman said...

Healthcare costs everyone a fortune, period. In the UK it's accounted for in real-time. In the US it's accounted on deficit, which means we don't realize the whole cost until the interest catches up to us.

I don't think underage drinking or teenage pregnancy is in any way affected by cost in either country.

4/08/2009 05:55:00 PM

 
Blogger Justin Short said...

They actually had another program about this on, talking about the expense of taking care of the drunk kids. Its not that they can't afford it, its having to deal with them. Security cameras showed them fighting with the nurses, having to be drug through the halls, etc. That, as well as average Joe (or whatever the british version of John Smith is) is tired of having to pay for people having 15 kids with no real income, or people who binge drink regularly to the point they have to be taken to the hospital.

4/09/2009 06:27:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home