Friday, June 29, 2007

On Deck for Too Long

I went out to the garage this afternoon to explain to Mustang it would have a new buddy in the garage; a 1999 BMW M Coupe. Mustang didn’t take it well. “Justin,” it said to me, “I’ve been with you for almost 8.5 years now. In that time you have been able to piece together an awesome engine, a transmission to hold the power, and a stellar rear axle setup, which I am extremely grateful for. I am very close to being complete. The major things you still need to buy me are a paint job, 5 speed transmission so we can cruise the freeway, an exhaust, and a few more interior parts.”

I thought about it for a moment, and the Mustang was right. In college I would eat Ramen for 2 weeks straight so that I could afford to get it an intake manifold. I am finally making the money that will allow me to get the project completed, and I should focus on it before taking on a new one

“I know I can’t take you to Detroit and back, even with a 5 speed transmission I would suck down more fuel than the 6 ton truck you have sitting outside that you use to tow me around, but I can do the other things you want, even run you through the cones at the autocross.”

“Really” I asked?

“Yes, you put enough time, money, and effort into giving me a solid ladder bar rear suspension that is adjustable, and given the right set of springs, can be set up for going around corners, not to mention the disc brake swap I am now sporting. The adjustable sway-bar and coil-overs are mounted far enough out to where handling is still possible. You have already lowered me up front, and put stiffer rate springs, so get me some rims and fat front tires instead of these drag runners. I may not be able to whip around the cones like the Germans, but it will be fun, and you will have money left over to do the things you still want on the cosmetic side, like new door panels and dashboard. Not to mention I can drag race, car show, and tear up the Indiana roads like none other. Ask Raven, he seemed to have a big smile on his face when we circled the block.”

I realized then that if I focus on these items until the end of the year, I could probably have everything off of my list, and the car, shy of a few upgrades here and there down the road, would be complete. If I got a car loan and insurance for the BMW, this would drag out for years to come. In February, I would get my annual bonus and standard tax return, and be able to buy a car with more money down, lower payments, and less strain on other aspects of my budget. Mustang was right. Good car.

5 Comments:

Blogger milkman said...

You've just published a conversation with your car.

Ladies and gentlemen, we've got a crazy.

6/29/2007 01:17:00 PM

 
Blogger Raven said...

that was kinda depressing

6/30/2007 12:20:00 AM

 
Blogger Justin Short said...

I was attempting to make a post like Raven's, but it didnt come out the same, or funny.

6/30/2007 08:34:00 AM

 
Blogger Phil said...

Yea, its hard to beat the Raven, maybe its because he is loser to Canada....were the LOONEY LIVES!

7/25/2007 08:48:00 PM

 
Blogger Phil said...

um..yea...CLOSER, not loser

7/25/2007 08:48:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home