Friday
Today was the first day I felt homesick. I had the same feelings when I moved to Indiana, and eventually they passed. I think this time it has more to do with the lack of social interaction. My new place doesn’t have TV, phone, internet, etc, etc. I had a similar problem when I first moved to Indiana, because everyone I worked with would scatter and do the family thing after 5, and I was stuck by myself. I do the pubs here, but it is hit-or-miss as to whether people want to BS with an American for a while. I think I am ready to get back to work and be re-introduced to that social network. Having a degree at 26 (or 23, in my case) seems rare around here. A lot of people still live with their parents at that age, and as far as I can tell don’t do much except for drink in pubs and stand around in public. There’s a decent group at work that fit my genre. It is tougher here because I am so far removed from ANYONE or ANYTHING I know. I can’t even go for a leisurely drive through the country because I have no car, I cant go rent a movie because I have no TV or DVD player and I am pretty sure my laptop wont play movies coded for this region (however I do get a new laptop once I start work and I hope that will solve that problem). Don’t know, just sucks a little. It’ll get better though.
Anyway, today I spent the day shopping after moving into my new place. My new place needed a lot of stuff, like bedding, toilet paper, light bulbs, etc. I got a nice backpack from my aunt, uncle and cousins which would be good for backpacking, so I would go to the store, load up with stuff, and return home. I made several trips like this until most of my stuff was crossed off the list. I still have more to do, as I have no groceries or cleaning suppliers, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.
I always wanted to live in a place with stairs, but 3 floors are too many. Especially, when nothing you need is on the same floor. The ground floor is the entrance to the building, the second floor is the kitchen and living room, and the third floor is the bathroom and my bedroom. There are 2 other bedrooms (one with a mattress) if anyone wants to stop in between now and March 1.
I bought thumbtacks for hanging posters and stuff, but for some reason I can’t get them into the walls. They built the buildings stout around here. And no, they aren’t brick. From looking around, the previous tenant used wood screws and framing nails to hang their decorations, so I think I am going to have to follow suit. If only I hadn’t left that hammer and screwdriver 7,000 miles away.
Oh, and while the English have gotten better dental care, they still smoke a lot. I guess that is why there are ad campaigns (below) about cocaine and not cigarettes like in the US; they have bigger fish to fry.
Lastly, I tried to watch soccer. It is not for me. Even the highlights are boring. I am really, really hoping that I can do down to Starbucks and stream the NFL playoffs online. If I can’t watch the Superbowl, I am going to need someone to record it and send it overnight. I had to do the same thing for my boss when he was in India.
6 Comments:
It's definitely isolating. How long are you planning on living out there? It may help to treat this like a permament move--it's difficult to immerse yourself properly if you have a 1- or 3-year deadline.
Flights look cheap from Seattle. Maybe I'll head out there at some point--probably not before March 1 (busy times) but maybe a bit after that.
--D
1/03/2009 03:04:00 PM
Yeah, speaking of isolating, I am sitting in a different pub now (with faster internet) waiting for the playoffs to start and I am crossing my fingers I can stream them online. If it works, I am going to have to get my charger because I will be here all night.
I am required to be here at least 2 years since they paid for my move, etc. And generally, you can't move around within Cummins but every once every 2 years anyway.
After March 1 will be the best time for people to start visiting. At the end of Feb I will be moving into my permanent home, receiving my posessions, and be a bit more settled. What I have now feels like a really BIG hotel room, but without TV or internet.
1/03/2009 03:50:00 PM
Cheap? where are you looking? I'm seeing $800 round trip from Detroit to New Castle.
1/04/2009 02:14:00 AM
Hang in there buddy, once you start work things will get busier and it'll help pass the time and make you feel more at home.
Maybe a train trip to far off Britain lands is in order.
1/04/2009 02:17:00 AM
$800 is cheap. I havent had a single flight under $1300. Darlington has an airport (code MME) but I can see where it might be cheaper to fly into Newcastle and take a train over.
Yeah, I might be taking the train down to Birmingham this weekend to see my cousin.
1/04/2009 10:07:00 AM
$800 is what I'm seeing too--and that's pretty cheap to get from Seattle to the UK.
1/04/2009 11:47:00 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home