Sunday, May 06, 2007

Living Right

That's what a guy I worked with said after seeing my gear case, surprised I hadn't wrecked my car yet. About half of the ring gear bolts were lose. Also, i found out that I did have a limited slip differential after all. However, the combination of the ring gear being lose, and the flat head screws which hold the differential case together being busted, did not allow it to lock up. When the clutches would engage, they would spread the case apart rather than locking the gears together. FANTASTIC. To top it off, the gear lash was above spec, so there was no doubt some chatter. Luckily, the pinion depth was set properly, so there was no real wear on the gears. I have reinstalled the case, but have not yet been able to take it for a drive. When I first disassembled the rear axle, I found that a wheel stud was completely galled up. The studs that I have are 3" Moser's, which I can only get from Summit Racing. I should get them in on Wednesday, and if I have time, get everything reassembled and take the car to the test and tune on Thursday at ORP.

3 Comments:

Blogger Raven said...

So are you reusing the old diff or did you install the new one?

5/06/2007 10:07:00 PM

 
Blogger Justin Short said...

Installed the new one. Between busted (though easily repairable) parts, wear and tear, I am better off with the new one. I might clean it up and sell it on ebay. I would imagine someone might want it.

5/06/2007 10:35:00 PM

 
Blogger milkman said...

Hot-tank the old pinion and weld it to your hood. That'd be a bitchin' hood ornament if it ... you know, didn't bend the hood when you opened it.

5/06/2007 11:29:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home