Blog Blog Blog
I don’t know how you guys have time to do this on a daily basis. Anyway. Mustang's rear axle. It’s a game of inches. $460 plus the cost of gas from Columbus, IN to Portland, IN (Indiana doesn’t have any original town names) and back twice, and my car's rear axle is 5.5" shorter than it started with. Originally, this was going to cost $220, but the good people at Moser Engineering failed to tell me about certain aspects of Ford 9 inch rear axles. Mainly, if you only want to narrow the rearend a few inches, you will need a new axle. This is because Ford tapers their axles before splining them, which doesn’t leave enough material on them for resplining. I had to buy a new short axle, and had my old long axle made into my short axle. Also, I bought new bearings and axle keepers, which tacked on $100. So, it was expensive, but effective. My axle is narrower, and my tires fit under my fenders much better than before. I have posted a before and after picture below. It looks like I have room for wider tires now, but I don’t. I am close to rubbing on both the inside and outside of fender. A little hammer work took care of it. I just have to keep my eye out for tire rub when the tires expand, and touch it up where necessary. I am going to look around for a general rule of thumb on how much clearance is recommended. Now I just need to save some $$$ for the ladder bars and coil overs to compete the rear suspension.
Before

After

3 Comments:
How wide are those damned tires? They certainly don't look very meaty from the pictures—is there really just not very much room in the fenders?
7/12/2006 11:11:00 PM
The tires have a given section width of 11.3 inches on an 8.5 inch rim. The size is 275/50R15. Because the outer fender lips in, then meets the inner fender, which is convex to a certain extent, there isn't that much room. I found that there should be 1/2" on the sides of the tire to prevent rubbing. A little hammering here and there and they will fit, but it hasn't been an easy process.
7/14/2006 04:03:00 PM
I've always wondered what your car would look like with some 165/76R13s on it. Go for the gold!
7/16/2006 10:18:00 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home