Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Deliciously White Trash

Saturday was easily the most redneck day of my life. I know that is hard to believe, as I spent the better part of a year living in a trailer by the freeway with a stripped 80's Mustang in the yard, but this takes the cake. I went to the Sportsdrome in Jeffersonsville, IN, just this side of Louisville. The locals call it Kentuckiana. The reason I ventured down there: Figure 8 Racing. Holy Inbred Yokels Batman! It was hilarious. Not only the racing, because, you know, they are racing in a Figure 8, but also the people who showed up to watch this event. I honestly don't know why the cars have sponsors on the doors, most of these people couldn't read anyway.

The racing was awesome. The number of close calls kept the excitement level up, and the crashes were better than those that I had seen at circle track races. While the circle track guys get to roll more, this was just an awesome collision. I uploaded a video of a crash onto youtube that I caught. The crash occurs 1:40 into the video, so feel free to fast forward.

The other hilarious part of this whole thing was the "spectator drags." Now, when they called out that they were ready for contestants of the spectator drags, I assumed they would be having spectators in their cars go in a straight line. That was not the case. Rather, they lined 2 cars up side by side and had them race 1 lap around the outer oval. The winner of each round would advance, and the overall winner took home $300. This Saturn did exceptionally well, and almost won the whole event. Several cars spun out into the midfield, but as far as I could tell no one made contact or hit the wall. Still, if you can walk home with $300 for winning, I think I could get a street car to turn and have a blast. Buy a cheap AWD, adjust the camber, throw some stiff springs on the drivers side, and take the W. Just a thought.








2 weeks from now I am going to be back down there. The Saturday before the Indy 500 is Figure 8 School bus racing. Its going to be sick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home