Monday, March 26, 2007

New Hood Over the Block

I have gone the opposite direction of Raven on this one. He wants a nicely painted truck with a rusty hood. I now have a new hood on a poorly painted Mustang. Dan has me interested in prepping my own car for paint, but the one thing I didn't want to do was fit the new hood. I wasn't so much worried about sanding the sides down to get a good body line as I was about cutting the hole in the middle for the shaker. The new shaker came with a template for the hole, but my unsteady hand wasn't about to take on the task. I payed the body shop, which I expect to do the paint, $208 to put the hood on, cut the hole in it, fit it, and drill the holes for the hood pins. A fair price, I thought, seeing as of how after I screwed it up, it would cost me $400 for another hood, as well as 2 sawzalls, as I would no doubt throw one throw the wall after I screwed it up. I guess I would need some new drywall as well. . .




Its not painted, its a gellcoat white over the fiberglass, which is good enough for me until I can get it painted. Ideally, the rest of the car will be about that white, if not a little brighter, and the hood will be black, per the pictures below.

3 Comments:

Blogger milkman said...

$208 really isn't bad for getting the hole professionally cut and the hood fitted. But you still should have done it yourself...because hey, it would have been an excuse to buy a new sawzall. And drywall.

If you're planning on following the photograph precisely, you'll have to paint the hood white and then black the center. Oh, and then pinstripes, which really make the difference between a mediocre paint job and one that really looks sharp--even if it's still a mediocre paint job.

3/27/2007 12:19:00 AM

 
Blogger Justin Short said...

I thought it was a good price, but I'll kick myself down the road when I need a sawzall or drywall for another project.

I am definatly getting the pinstripes, but I wont be doing the painting. What do you think about hand pinstriping blue around the black stripes?

3/27/2007 09:04:00 AM

 
Blogger milkman said...

Get a professional to do the pinstriping (it's not easy) and get their opinion on putting blue against black. I suspect they'll say that unless the pinstripe is really thick, you should stick with the same highlight color.

3/27/2007 09:12:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home