Monday, May 31, 2010

Flight home

My return trip from the US turned into a nightmare. I landed in London Heathrow and got stuck in an hour long line for passport control. When I finally got up to the counter, I had to deal with this a-hole of a guard who decided my passport wasnt in good enough condition, so he did me the favor of canceling it for me, which ment I could still leave the UK on it, but if I tried to re-enter with that passport I'd be refused. Fantastic. Once that was sorted I rushed to the train to take me to the other terminal to catch my flight to Newcastle. I was originally on an 11:30 am flight, but it was canceled due to British Airways cabin crew striking. So, they put me on a 10:00 am flight. I made it to the kiosk at 9:34 am, which was 4 minute stoo late to check in. The only other flight they could put me on was a 6:20PM flight. This ment 9 hours in the airport, and I would be stuck with my bags outside the secured area for 7 hours until they would allow me to check in. I passed on that, and booked a 135 ound train ticket home. Of course, this ment dealing with 2 checked bags and a carry on (needed the luggage space to bring home Pabst) on the London Underground, and connection to the National Rail and again to the Newcastle Metro. During one of the connections, the wheel on one of my bags siezed, and eventually melted from sliding on the ground. In any event, I finally made it back to my car about 4 hours before the plane from Heathrow would've even taken off. I filed a complaint to BA since the cancelation was due to the strike, but to no avail, as they think the 9 hour wait for a plane ride which lasts an hour is acceptable. All this, on top of flying with their code share partner American Airlines on the way there which resulted in my bag's handle being ripped off and the backing from my bag being torn on the way there (which is when the bags were empt to make room for the aforementioned Pabst). I have 57k more airline miles to burn with AA and then I am finding a new carrier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home