The Search Continues
Well, I have been trying M3's, but to no avail. I was lined up to get the 90k mile one in the blog below, but they sold it the day before I could go get it. Bummer. However, I found another one in Cincinnati, but it was more expensive. After a trip down there today, I found that the dealership wouldn't budge on the price, which was exceeded the book value. Since it was above book value, it exceeded the value the bank would finance me for on that particular car, and was really more than I wanted to spend anyway, so it was out. Fun car though.
Back to the drawing board? Well,
The number of 01-03 BMW M3's in this price range are few and far between, and from what I have seen, are high mileage. For $10k, there is a 2001 dark blue Audi S4 in Indy with 90k miles, a more reasonable price for a sports car with that many miles, which I might go look at on Monday. My big turn off in the past with these cars is the extra set of doors which I have no use for. That, and without a set of rims, they really don't look that sporty. I do like the feel and the drive of the cars though, so we will see on that one.
The number of 01-03 BMW M3's in this price range are few and far between, and from what I have seen, are high mileage. For $10k, there is a 2001 dark blue Audi S4 in Indy with 90k miles, a more reasonable price for a sports car with that many miles, which I might go look at on Monday. My big turn off in the past with these cars is the extra set of doors which I have no use for. That, and without a set of rims, they really don't look that sporty. I do like the feel and the drive of the cars though, so we will see on that one. Likewise, I was trying to avoid a convertible, but a Z3, Non-M, would fit the bill for low $$$, as would a used MR2 Spider. Here are 2 local examples that can be picked up for around $10k, but again, its a convertible, and the MR2 kinda looks like a frog, no matter the color, but I hear it handles like a go kart.

6 Comments:
Are you sure you like the way the S4 drives? The B5 S4 is a real pig with numb steering and the engine hanging way too far off the front axle. It's quick and it's AWD, but "spritely" it isn't. For everday fun, I'd take a ZX3 Focus over a B5 S4 any day of the week--even if they were priced the same.
The Z3s are good cars but I never got into the styling.
The MR2 is a fantastic little runabout. Of course, it's essentially a Miata with a Toyota logo and the engine in the proper location. Why not buy a Miata? You can get a damned fine NB for $10k.
I was looking at Boxsters a while back--they're done below $20k these days and there are a shitton of them out here (more common than MR2s). You may want to see what's available in your area.
If you're looking at roadsters, why not a TR6? Or if you're bored, you could probably pick up a DeLorean for about that much change.
--D
3/22/2008 11:46:00 PM
I think the S4 is underpowered for the weight, but for $599 it can be chipped to 318hp/382lb-ft. For the price, I dont see keeping this car stock and can throw a few other mods to really open it up. A buddy of mine out here has a Focus SVT, and its a fun car, I am just done with FWD.
I feel the same way about the Z3's, thats why I was oringally looking at the Coupes, but thats really a love-it-or-hate-it design.
I am not a fan of Miatas. Not for me.
I have been looking at boxsters some, like this one, I just dont know what to think of a 100k mile Porsche.
I would still like some reliability for longer road trips, so I am looking at newer cars, but the vehicles I am interested in are generally going to be higher milage to fit the pricetag.
3/23/2008 08:41:00 AM
It's got nothing to do with the power. The B5 S4 is front-heavy and AWD, and putting more power in it won't make it feel like any less of a slug. You'll get to 60 a bit quicker, but it'll feel like a boat around every corner.
Since you feel the same about the Z3, don't even bother unless a totally sweet deal (sweet jump?) lands in your lap.
The Boxster will kill you on maintenance unless you've got a body lift in your garage--but it won't be any worse than an M. On the upside, they're not particularly unreliable vehicles and unlike the M3, often aren't flogged.
If you didn't have that accursed reliability requirement I'd recommend the E34 M5.
3/23/2008 01:21:00 PM
Err, on the Z3 comment, I meant "since you feel the same about the styling."
3/23/2008 01:22:00 PM
I understand it's front heavy, but that hasn't taken away from the drive in my mind. Its has a lateral acceleration of 0.86g in stock from, so it can't be all bad. The thing I get confused about is that the B5 is a DS car and the B6 is FS. Did the additional weight of the new engine do that muchm to its handling?
3/23/2008 02:46:00 PM
SCCA classification is fickle stuff. The B5 S4 is in the same class as the Chrysler Crossfire, for christ's sake.
Static roadholding figures into it a little, but I'm really talking about the balance and responsiveness of the chassis. The mid-engined and RWD cars you've considered so far all have it in spades (note: I haven't driven a Z3, but it's built on the same chassis as my 3). The only Audi I've ever been in that has that kind of poise is the B6 RS4. The others just ... don't.
Are they great all-around cars? Absolutely. But those who enjoy spirited driving need not apply.
3/23/2008 03:38:00 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home