Lets Reconsider
Today I started browsing for cars again, and I found a cheap M3 just over in Cincinnati. Its exactly what I was looking for; blue with black leather interior, manual, sunroof, etc. Plus its within budget!!!! The thing that scares me is the mileage, 92k. I know that is high for a domestic, but I don't know about a BMW.This is where I turn to Dan..
I know a lot has to do with how it was driven and how it was maintained, but I am curious as to what maintenance needs to be done at 100k. Timing belts, fluid flushes, etc? Anything you can offer would be appreciated. Also, if I go look at it, is there anything specific I should look for which would be deal breaker?
9 Comments:
For pre-2003 models, original engine is a dealbreaker.
I'm not sure about the service intervals for the E46--I suspect the next major service is slated for 120k.
92k actually isn't an unheard-of amount of miles for a car of that vintage (it's ~7 years old, after all) but even if it had fewer miles, I wouldn't invest in an M without a detailed service history. They're not really prone to breaking down all that more often than a non-M, but the parts are soooo much more expensive when they do.
3/04/2008 12:27:00 AM
Thats the first I have heard of this problem. But, if the car hasnt had the replacement, its a recall. I could have it fixed for free, right? I am suprised that a lower rod bearing is to blame, that is a very low load bearing. It must not be a material problem, but dimensional? I know the parts are pricy, so that is why I am wondering what else to look for that might cost a month's mortgage to replace.
3/04/2008 08:29:00 AM
Bearing load doesn't really factor into this. As far as I know, it's an oil starvation problem.
BMW pushed back on this issue a lot originally, and it took them a long time to actually acknowledge it (similar to the Toyota 1MZ-FE sludging problem). Contrary to the Wikipedia article, I hadn't heard that a recall had been issued--last I checked, the closest BMW had gotten was a TSB, which is good enough for a dealer to replace the bearings (or engine) if the car is still under warranty. The oil pump was also covered in the bulletin.
It's probably worthwhile to attempt to price an S54B32 to calibrate your expectations on part and engine prices.
3/04/2008 10:07:00 AM
I read some more about this today, and found that BMW increased the bearing clearance as apart of the fix, so it was probably dimensional. As far as a warranty, I found this page http://www.yoy.com/yoy/auto/m3_failure_index.html which discusses the problem in great detail. I think I really just need to check and see if it was a Oct 01-Feb 02 car, as they seemed to have the most issues. Also, the problems seemed to have shown themselves within the first 10,000 miles.
3/04/2008 10:20:00 AM
I called the dealer, the bearings were replaced at 57k.
3/04/2008 04:44:00 PM
Well, groovy!
The only other blocking factor would be a lack of bumper nuts.
3/04/2008 07:42:00 PM
buy now?
3/07/2008 01:48:00 PM
status?
3/18/2008 11:12:00 AM
I am approved through my bank, I just need to get over there. It seems that the consinsous around here is to go over Thursday afternoon, take a look at it, possibly buy it, then go to the German restaurant in Newport, KY afterwards.
3/18/2008 12:00:00 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home