Saturday, September 23, 2006

Momma I'm Going Fast!

As I mentioned some posts back, the leaf springs on my Mustang are shot. So, rather than replace the springs for $120, I decided to upgrade to a coil-over and ladder bar setup. These components should be installed next week by Black Wolf Performance. They just moved into a new shop, and will be having thier new lifts installed next week. Once they are in place, they will get my car up in the air and start the welding, which is why I wont be doing the install. If anyone who reads this remembers highschool welding shop, they will recall my crooked sawhorse which, I am pretty sure, was statically indeterminant. So, I am not about to attempt to weld a new rear suspension in place. Here is a pic of the major components laid out in my garage. I purchased a QA1 coil-over set, with adjustable Carerra shocks, Competition Engineering adjustable ladder bars, Competition Engineering adjustable sway bar, Competition Engineering panhard bar, and a Competition Engineering ladder bar crossmember. All told, $1200, plus installation, to be determined later.

5 Comments:

Blogger milkman said...

Is a ladder bar anything different than a standard two-link trailing arm setup? The only thing that looks a bit different is that the links seem to have some sort of extra arm to prevent the axle from rotating (presumably).

9/24/2006 11:20:00 AM

 
Blogger Justin Short said...

a ladder bar has 2 pivot points on the axle, and 1 pivot point on the frame. because all 6 points are ball points, it is necessary to run a panhard bar, which is a bar that runs from one side of the axle to the opposite frame, parallel to the axle, to prevent the axle from moving side to side.

9/25/2006 10:19:00 PM

 
Blogger Raven said...

Hills is teaching race vechicle dynamics next semester... there's still time for you to transfer fromm that prissy-peurdu-thing your going to and take the class at state.

10/17/2006 09:53:00 AM

 
Blogger Raven said...

How's the install going?

10/29/2006 11:30:00 PM

 
Blogger Justin Short said...

still waiting on it to be installed. Ask Hill if he would consider teaching it via distance ed, ie, recording the lectures and posting them on the net.

11/06/2006 10:35:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home