Monday, February 13, 2006

Detroit Rock City

This post is a little late, but I just haven't had the energy to write anything. Last week (Tuesday through Thursday) I was in Detroit. I had to go up there to visit a supplier and get some information from them that couldn't be obtained through phone calls and emails. Myself and Luke from our group went us, as well as another guy who deals with them on a more business intense (rather than engineering) basis. We drove. Google said it would take us about 6.5 hours, we but we made it in just over 4. The vehicle of choice? Chevy HHR. Quite possibly the worst designed vehicle on the road. Everything on the car was cheap, and the window controls were the dumbest design I had ever seen. They stuck the controls behind the shifter on the center console, and then didn't light them. Rather than having backlit switches like everything else on the dash, they stuck an LED in the headliner which shines down on the switches so you can see them in the dark. Got Crack? Seriously, they went after the marketplace of the PT Cruiser. Was that really necessary? I guess the answer is no, seeing as of how the American Revolution is filing for bankruptcy protection and trying to cut the wages of union workers in half. Anyway. . .

The trip was a success. I managed to swing by the Henry Ford Museum, which is amazing, however I only had time to go through the automotive part, which is just a fraction of what they have there. Here is a picture of me next to the 1962 Ford Mustang Concept.



There were a lot of impressive vehicles there. It is the kind of place I wish I could spend a day or 2 looking around. And to cover everything there, you really need to.

As for the city, Dearborn is a lot nicer than Detroit. While it was cold up there, I could definitely tolerate living on that side of town. Of course, if Geely comes in and dominates the way that Toyota and Honda have, I might not have to think about it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Raven said...

heh, you look like you're 12.

2/15/2006 07:38:00 PM

 
Blogger milkman said...

I think the HHR competes rather well with the PT Cruiser.

Or at least it would have if Chevrolet introduced it in the year 2000.

3/01/2006 09:04:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home